In August 2021, the Parish of Saint-Laurent on the outskirts of Montreal concluded its year-long tercentennial celebration of the parish’s founding with a Mass celebrated by the Most Rev. Christian Lépine, Archbishop of Montreal. Also attending the Mass were the mayor of Saint-Laurent, his councilors, and three members of Parliament. Unfortunately, because of the pandemic restrictions in Quebec, the closing Mass had to be postponed from last summer.
The Congregation of Holy Cross arrived in Saint-Laurent in 1847. During Father Moreau’s visit to Quebec in 1857, our Founder negotiated with the Bishop of Montreal, which resulted in the Congregation of Holy Cross assuming responsibility for the parish in 1863.
In order to bridge visually the past and the present, Fr. Denis Marchand, C.S.C., Pastor, Fr. Pierre Labine, C.S.C., Parochial Vicar, and Sr. Monique Paquette, Congregational Assistant for the Sisters of Holy Cross, donned their traditional Holy Cross religious habits for the occasion.
After the Mass, the parish community continued the celebration with a picnic on the church grounds. On December 10, Saint-Laurent will host a concert with the choirs of Cegep Vanier and the Orchestra of Cegep Saint-Laurent. This concert was originally scheduled to take place last year.