During March, Dom Amando School in Santarém in the northern state of Pará in Brazil marked the 80th anniversary of its founding with a series of festivities, highlighted by a special session of the City Council recognizing the school’s pioneering work in education and thus the tremendous impact it has had in the forming of so many professionals serving in the Amazon region.
The school was originally founded in 1943 as the Dom Amando Grade School by the local bishop. The Holy Cross Brothers from the United States arrived at the school in 1951, having been invited by the bishop to assume the administration of the school.
The Holy Cross brothers quickly imprinted the Holy Cross way of educating on the school, imparting both rigorous knowledge of the various subjects and sciences as well as Christian values, ethics, and discipline. That approach to education, along with excellence in teaching, continues to mark Dom Amando today, which has around 1,300 students from kindergarten through high school.
"We are proud to be Colegio Dom Amando,” said Mr. Fernando Frozza, Principal. “It is in this pride that we have had the grace of reaching 80 years, under the blessing of Saint Joseph, Patron of the Brothers of the Holy Cross.”
The festivities to commemorate the anniversary drew together all members of the educational community, including educators, students, families, and former students, affectionately known as “eternal students” (eternosalunos). Also present was the Superior of the Congregation’s District of Brazil, Br. Ronaldo Almeida, C.S.C.
The program included cultural, sports, and artistic events, along with music and dance performances. At the end of the program, a Mass was celebrated in honor of Saint Joseph, the Patron both of Dom Amando School and the Brothers of Holy Cross. Fr. Antônio Wanderley Oliveira dos Santos, C.S.C., Coordinator of Campus Ministry, presided at the Mass, which included the active participation of the educational community.